Thursday, July 30, 2009

"THE LOVERS" Mixed Media Salvage (or why I love this art form!)

As much as I hate to admit it, I make things occasionally that just DO NOT turn out. You know, the things you want to shove under a pile of papers when you hear someone approaching or give to the dog to chew on (or in my case, put in the bottom of the Budgie's cage.......)
At any rate, I'd had a collage I had done on a *no brain* day, just tearing and gluing paper, adding a bit of paint and why I kept it around, I don't know. I had it pinned up on the wall, irritating me each time I saw it.
During the current sorting and throwing binge, I yanked it off the wall and as I did the light showed the texture as opposed to what was supposed to be seen. Hmmmmmm.......so instead of the garbage bag, it went to the studio table. It was somewhat vaguely oriental themed and I had glued three fake Chinese coins on it. Those went. Then I pulled some stamps, some tracing paper and let it sit.
I started with some oriental characters on the tracing paper, covered most of the background, then kept pushing. Some ink around the edges, some stamping in black, the paperclay to make the individual words......but what next?
More washes, more tinkering----I needed an image that was bright to offset the dark toned background. So I began digging as I recalled having some oriental images a friend had given me. I was thinking Geisha at first and then found this, "The Lovers" from a tarot deck page she gave me. (Thanks Val!) It was perfect. Everything began pulling together, setting the card and the paperclay pieces in heavy gel medium and using fine black glass glitter to cover the edges of the gel.
I added more ink around the edges and some interference paint here and there. A bit of glitter paint. I stood back and looked at it.
It just couldn't be the same piece.
And I was delighted!
Sometimes we keep things we don't need. But often, we keep things that need finishing, fixing, a different approach. We save things that can be taken apart and reused. We cleave to things that need refining---we are able to see past what is actually there to what could be. It's a wonderful way to learn to look at work, especially the things you just plain want to dump. It's a pretty interesting way to look at life too.
I learned a long time ago from art magazine articles that if something really turned me off but I kept returning to it, there was something important there for me to learn. It is a lesson that has paid off in the long run!
Please click on the photo so you can get a good look at the details, particularly where I have used the clay. The size of the piece is a mere 5"x7" canvas panel but there is a lot in that little package.
I wish you a day of pleasant surprises, things to recycle, and above all else, an artist's eye and creativity.
Pax.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooohooo!..I can just imagine how exciting this is in person..with the glitter glass!...I love anything with an oriental flare...
and this is no exception..love it, anne! How great that you kept it around!
I'm off to be with my sewing friends today...taking my little featherweight and away i go!
I plan to have a great day...i wish the same for all!
gypsy

yoborobo said...

Anne - It's beautiful! You manage to get this wonderful sense of light in your work. I love the way the card's colors just shimmer against that background. And I have LOTS of budgie cage material here. :) As a matter of fact, I just threw a piece in a drawer yesterday. I think of it like a crock pot: maybe something will cook up in there while I'm away from it. LOL! Have a great day! xo Pam

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Jean---have a fun day with the sewing chicks! And the featherweight. Mine needs a new tension guage and I just have *put that off*......story of my life!
The glass glitter is quickly becoming a favorite to use on things when I can't think of something else.
Yep, that's how it works!
HA!!!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Pam,

I think one of the things I have always worked hardest at is, as you put it, the sense of light. I do not know how I judge it, I am not sure if I could teach it. It is a matter of working with contrast and the colors. I am a *high contast* person for the most part, eventhough some of my pieces are in a warm neutral, and then there is just that pop of light!
Crock pot----oh, I love that one! Mine must be the size of a barn....something stewing always!
Have a good one! :)

teri said...

Superb!
I think you definitely have a talent for this!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I think I just like ripping up paper and gluing myself to it.....LOL!!!!!
I really do enjoy this stuff...need to do a class, eh? ;)

Val May said...

Anne, I saw this yesterday in person and adore it. I like the contrast between the layered depth of the background and the flat opaque layer of the lovers and the small touches of red connecting the areas. You and I have a love of things oriental that are a source of work that I think goes a step beyond....
We thank you for that; we want that; we NEED that....

Leslie said...

Serendipity, thy name is art.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I like that.....it should be on a T-shirt!!!!!!
Oh, and by the way, I was FORCED into that F.B. questionaire by too many people, so you guys won out.
Now all my guts are spilled..... ;)

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Val,

Don't have the contacts in (plus just cleaned the bathroom floor--OY!) so your post slipped by me!
It looks better today; I got the second coats of the different varnishes on and it pushed the card UP and the background further back, but seemed also to let some of the original paper become a bit more visible, which is great!
I did notice that the tidbits of red are now more noticable and create a great diagonal which juxtapositions against the very straight layout.
What luck!!! LOL!!!

audrey said...

Ah, Anne, yes, please do a background layering class. I think you would be overwhelmed with the response.
Another wonderful work of art!
I am clueless as to how you find the time to make art and fit the day to day stuff in too. Just how might you find the time to give a class as well? LOL

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Well.....my house is a mess, I just reluctantly scrubbed the bathroom floor because....ummm...I refuse to comment more!
I just have made some switches in priorities since I busted my hip. The art and church (not in that order!) are pretty much first and everything else falls into place.
Life is too short to worry over dust or if everything is perfect. There is too much wonderful to see and appreciate and enjoy. There are really good, important things to do!
And we don't know how long we're going to be here, so I figure I better get to enjoying as MUCH as I can!

audrey said...

Love the way you think!!!

America Alcala said...

Wonderful! I should start recycling more of my art. :)

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Do it! Do it!
I have old watercolors that didn't make it that get cut up, used foil that becomes a beautiful piece of painted collage paper......it's endless.
We throw away some good stuff that could really provoke the mind to think, what else could it be.

Linda and Michelle said...

I love all things Asian - and you're right - this piece needs to be seen close up!! I would love to do a layering class with you! How fun would that be?!?!

This is an amazing piece - I love everything about it!

Anonymous said...

OMG!...I am in love, love, love!
Wooohooo..your fabulous Giveaway prize came today, Anne!...surprise in only 6 days!..
You must have smiled really good at the postman! lol!

It is absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE it, as i said! Amazing how something this small can be so mind boggling! i love the texture of the canvas , plus the glazed look of the little heart..and the glitter adds such a spark!
My paintings of years ago were
always a minimum of 36 inches square... never anything mini...you've gotten me thinking AGAIN! lol!
thanks for making my day...it was in my box when i got home!
gypsy

Anonymous said...

ooooops..almost forgot..is the little surprise ...Freida?
wow..i love it too...Thanks sooo much...I still can't believe my good fortune!
gypsy

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Linda,

I have been seriously considering doing an on line class, so people could learn and not leave their studios/messes (referring to myself!)
In fact, I set up a seperate blog site so that if I did them, it would be a simple pay and you're signed in--everyone could ask questions, etc.
Maybe I need more feedback on this one!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Jean--I'm really glad the package got there that quick. I am AMAZED!!! It must have been the nose-bleed stilletttoes...LOL!!!
Yes, the little pin is Frida; I love her work and she has influenced me in some respects. I try and keep it to attitude or things not specifically Frida-like.
My own take on it all.
The blog has allowed me to meet some really fun crazy-cool people and I am certainly glad I have been able to connect!!!!
You enjoy your new toys!

XXOO!

Post a Comment

Talk to me Dahling!
I'm waiting, breathless...... ;-D