I believe I left everyone stranded part way in the process of making my double sided ATC with a less than cooperative camera......
We all learned to get along! >:-)
Above are the elements I was working with for the back of the card, the Geisha carefully cut out and seeing how she fit on the card blank.
At this point, I slipped some old Japanese print paper over the card back, layed on a piece leftover from a previous collage to bring up the red in the print and sized up visually where I wanted the Geisha, or if it all works. I was liking what I was seeing, so proceeded.
One thing I felt would help to seperate the Geisha from the background was to flip the paper over and add some colored pencil. This is a good way to change the tone of a print without really doing a lot to it that would change the look and flavor. I just worked with some warmer color pencils, then as shown below, I coated the back with Titan Buff, to seperate it a bit more from the text on the page. This is a neutral barrier---you can do it with white or black, or whatever works with the color of the print you are using. (yes, it is fly by the seat of your pants the first few times.......but pretty quickly you learn!)
At this point, I am still fond the text on the background but feel it is too bland colorwise. The aging of the paper is not enough, so I go in with the fluids and a stamp......
.....And I like this much better. More visual interest, more contrast, and I also brought up just a bit of color on the front of the Geisha with the colored pencils. Can't really see it? Good. That's how it should be. I want it to look like it was the original and not my hand.
These are part of the items used; a very small section of the large stamp was inked with the Distress Ink and applied. The Staz-On was used with two of the tiny stamps for the leaf side. Tacky Glue is my fix-all for putting two pieces of paper together.....and of course, letting them dry under several heavy books, to make sure they are flat.
I was still not happy with the seperation between the Geisha's face and the background, so with a very fine brush, I outlined her figure and that seemed to do the trick. A subtle little thing, but really bringing her forward more. I also used a finely sharpened colored pencil to retrace some of the fine lines in the drawing....again, not obvious. It just makes things *look better*.
And here we have the two pieces side by side. One note; the leaf had pulled away from the backing a bit, so I used the knife to lift an edge and put more heavy gel under, smoothing it with my finger. When that was dry, I coated it with a combination of acrylic glazing fluid and acrylic paint, to restoe the burgundy that had lessened some after all the manipulation and ironing.
And below, the final front image.......
And back, after being glued together. One thing I added as an after thought to the back was the small die cut maple leaves.
I felt it tied the two sides together better with that extra black. Then I edged the piece with a colored Sharpie marker and varnished both sides. The leaf side is gloss, so it appears the leaf is floating on water, and the Geisha side is satin, to give a gentle depth to the aged print.
And that's pretty much it for this piece! I still feel like I am forgetting something here....and I probably am, but it is gone for the moment.
I just cannot do things simply........pffft!
Sometimes I wish I could....but......I really do LIKE this! :-)
Now go get creative! Happy Monday!